Starting a new job can lead to many different emotions. You could feel excited to get stuck into something new, anxious about meeting your new colleagues, worried about what they might expect of you on that first day! But I think it’s best to be prepared when that day comes around. Here are my tips for starting a new role.
- Always revise on the business you’re going to work for. The more you know, the better. Suppose your new colleagues ask you questions on the history of the business or their business values. In that case, it’s best to make sure you feel confident that you know as much as possible about the business.
- Dress appropriately; make sure you feel confident and comfortable! There’s nothing worse than feeling uncomfortable in an outfit! If you need to be able to move around, wear more relaxed clothing. If you’re sitting at a desk, wear something that won’t restrict your arms or be uncomfortable to sit in. If you have a uniform, try it on when you receive it to make sure it fits nicely. It really does help.
- Do some mindfulness when you start the day. Relax into the day, settle your mind, and ease into it. Wake up a little earlier to fit it into your day, to walk in feeling relaxed and ready!
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help! No one will expect you to know all the ins and outs of a role straight away – if you need assistance, just ask. If they’re a good employer, they’ll be happy to help.
- Check your bag the night before – have you got everything you need? Keys? Money? Phone? ID badge? Being prepared will stop any unnecessary running around in the morning, leading to a more relaxed start to the day.
I hope these tips are helpful and get you through that first day anticipation!